University-Industry Inter-Linkage Centre
(Under the Faculty of Skill Development & Vocational Studies)
UGC in its letter D.O. No. F.1-14/2015 (CPP-II) dated 29th September, 2015 informed that it has framed Guidelines for the scheme of establishing University-Industry Inter-linkage Centres (UIL Centres) in the Universities, which are based on the significance of University-Industry interactions in higher education on policy-making front at both national and institutional levels. (Annexure VIII) and requested the Universities to establish the UIL Centres in the University. Establishment of UIL Centre in this University is under process.
The significance of university-industry interactions has become an important agenda of higher education on policy-making front at both national and international levels. It is well-known that today the country faces a dissonance and disconnect between higher education and its relevance to industry, a demand-supply mismatch as the economy is in need of more ‘skilled’ workforce as also the managers and entrepreneurs than the country produces annually. This is so, because a majority of the existing Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs) remain almost disconnected with the requirement of the workplace, as they are yet to incorporate the specific requirements of various industries in their curriculum in an innovative and flexible manner while producing well-groomed graduates. A crying need is felt more than ever for taking integrated initiatives towards knowledge acquisition and upgradation of skilled human competencies in universities and colleges to address the emerging needs of the economy so as to ensure that the graduates have adequate knowledge and skills to get suitably employed or become entrepreneurs and thereby meet the economic and industrial needs at the regional and national levels. This need can be fulfilled by creating and operating suitable collaborative arrangements between Higher Educational Institutions and industries. Considering the importance of the issue, the UGC got contemplated to launce a Scheme of setting up of University-Industry Inter-Linkage Centres (UIL Centres) in universities, which become an effective, goal-oriented and naturally-enriching mechanism.
The main objectives of the Scheme of establishing UIL Centres in Higher Educational Institutions are to:
- Identify the expertise available in the university which can be of use for the industries in the locality/ region by way of consultancy services, evaluation of R&D activities of the industries, etc.;
- Take the help of the expertise of the industries to improve/ redesign the curriculum periodically in tune with the requirements of the industries;
- Help create skilled manpower for industry requirements at various levels;
- Conduct Management Development Programmes (MDPs), Entrepreneurships Developments Programmes (EDPs), etc.;
- Initiate schemes for students/ teacher training, joint research;
- Undertake R&D in the areas related to skill education and development, entrepreneurship, employability, labour market trends, etc. at the postgraduate and research levels;
- Maintain ‘Labour Market Information’ for the region in coordination with government agencies and industry associations;
- Help set up Science & Technology Entrepreneurs’ Parks (STEPs), Technology Business Incubators (TBIs), etc.;
- Work for coordination between the University and industry/ industries in the neighborhood to make the Centre a Centre of Excellence for skill development in specified areas;
- Conduct all other activities as are incidental or conducive to the functioning of the Centre.
Ready to get started?
Get in touch with us...